In January, 1909, Salmon Arm’s Fire Brigade was formed. Firemen depended upon the use of chemical tanks to extinguish fires. When the community installed a water system, a new fire protection structure was organized. The City Protective Association was formed in December, 1913. In 1918 the name changed to the Salmon Arm Fire Brigade, the predecessor of the Salmon Arm Fire Department. This building represents the first firehall, which was located at the corner of Okanagan Avenue and Shuswap Street, just south of where the Courthouse now stands. It housed two reels and a few ladders, and was used from 1913 to 1936. In 1936 the operation moved to the old PowerHouse building on Ross Street, the site of the current downtown firehall. By-law Number 50 of 1913 raised $2500 to erect a firehall. M.M. Carrrol was appointed Fire Chief at the wages of fifty dollars a year and W.L. Gibbard was appointed Deputy Chief, at forty dollars a year. Salmon Arm’s first fire truck was purchased locally. This 1934 Chevrolet hose and ladder truck was a farm truck, converted by the firemen, and served the community from 1940 to 1966. The two hose reels seen in the firehall display were used from 1914 to 1940. They were pulled manually by the firemen and connected to fire hydrants. Community help in moving the reels was requested, and the first driver with a wagon and team of horses to arrive on site was given five dollars to cart the reels to the fire scene. Salmon Arm Museum.